Please note: The research assistant jobs listed here are only available to students enrolled at the University of Freiburg.
Teaching Assistant for “Foundations of Deep Learning” (HiWi)
We are actively looking for good students that have taken and successfully completed the Foundations of Deep Learning lecture, and that would you like to assist us in organizing it in the future.
Deep Learning Engineer (HiWi)
If you can quickly code algorithms from deep learning papers and repeat their experiments, we want you!
More information about these and other open positions can be found here.
Getting in Touch about Research Assistant Jobs
Since machine learning is currently one of the hottest topics around, our small group is flooded with requests, and we may not be able to offer projects to every interested student.
If you are interested in a specific project, please feel free to contact the project supervisor directly. Alternatively, if you are flexible and interested in multiple different projects, you may email to firstname.lastname@example.org instead, clearly stating that you are applying for a HiWi job (and not a project/thesis). In both cases, we ask you to provide us with the following information:
- Are you a BSc or MSc student? Which term? If BSc, are you planning on staying in Freiburg for a MSc?
- Which area of work do you prefer: Neural Architecture Search, Hyperparameter optimization, AutoML systems or Learning to Learn (L2L)?
- Which ML-related courses have you taken?
- Can you please attach your transcript of records?
- Which courses are you taking which are NOT yet in the transcript of records?
- Which projects have you done so far (in Freiburg and elsewhere)?
- Which topics / projects interest you most?
- Creativity / ideas for developing new algorithms
- Getting someone else’s large code base to run
- Running comprehensive experimental studies / keeping track of results
- Self-motivation to push through even if things don’t work for a while
- Coding skills
- Ability to read a RL paper, implement it and get it to work
- Ability to read a DL paper, implement it and get it to work
- Formal background, linear algebra
- Formal background, proofs
Since different projects require different skill sets, please also rate your skills in the following categories on a scale from ++ (very good) to — (no knowledge/skill):
Please state the number of hours per month you would like to work for.